Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Using Multimedia

Multimedia typically refers to a combination of text, pictures, movies, and sound on web pages. If you are making a website, like we are- depending on the type of image, music etc there are better and worse options for formatting. JPEG vs GIF for images; Real Player vs Windows media player for music; Quicktime for movies.

The effects of multimedia I think are obvious: it makes websites more interesting, fun to go on, unique. Of course, there is also a downside, if you use too much media. I have been on a few math websites for kids where they are obviously trying to appeal to kids with animated graphics, lots of color etc, but I feel so over-stimulated by looking at the page, that I never even use it, and there's probably some good stuff on there. So while it is important for a website to have multimedia on it, you want to be careful that it is effective and not overwhelming.

The most interesting thing brought up by this chapter (9) had to do with future types of multimedia which will appeal to other sense besides just the visual and sound senses: taste, smell and touch! Very weird and cool. All I can really picture from this is virtual reality websites that bring interactivity to a whole new dimension.. o my nerdiness knows no bounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment