My school just purchased 30 mini-laptops. We even have wireless, albeit spotty. I love the idea of losing these in my classroom. I am very optimistic about the future use of these laptops. Just a little while ago I had my students watch an internet video walking them through step-by-step how to do geometric constructions. They loved it! But it would have worked even better if each kid could have watched their own video with headphones so that they could rewind, pause and repeat whenever they needed to.
I have 2 concerns: accessibility and monitoring what they have access to. The issue of accessibility is basically a non-issue: I don't see anyway to remedy this until all students can be provided with one. There have been discussions among other schools that give each student one for the school year- it usually results in increased amounts of accountability and responsibility. The other issue is monitoring. How do I have the kids do something like a curriculum web that needs internet research but also monitor that they are not going places they shouldn't. I'm not worried about porn or even youtube- the WebSense censoring program takes care of that- but what about just other fun sites that kids like to go on- games, music etc. How do we prevent them from going on sites that have nothing to do with what we are teaching.
Is there a way that I could control all of their computers from mine? Or that I could lock them out from all sites except a few that I select? That would be perfect!
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment